Embedded Software Engineer
Universal Electronics (UEI) - redefining control. The vision is beyond a connected home, rather a smarter home where technology is your friend and not an obstacle. The fantastic team of UEI is focused on next generation distributed platforms for the connected home ecosystem; they solve real life problems and bring improvements to the masses. They are infatuated by technology; however only see it as the means and not the goal itself. They accept no boundaries and no problem should remain unresolved.
Their products and technologies are touched by well over 250 million people every week, and they are just getting started! UEI designed & developed an extraordinary number of products for the connected home, backed by a complete ecosystem of data driven embedded software solutions & cloud services for connected devices from leading brands in mobile, gaming and consumer electronics segments!
As a member of this multi-disciplinary team you will be involved in every aspect of next generation data-driven products. This would require deep understanding of UEI’s core technologies as well as technology trends in embedded systems, and consumer electronics. You will always be faced with a new puzzle to solve with current or new technologies with a single goal in mind, an unmatched user experience for our products.
They are all students at UEI, and they do what it takes to achieve the goal. They are looking for a hands-on self-starter to join the fun.
The Software Application Engineer is a member of the software development team and will report to the local Software Engineering Manager, while working closely with the SAE Team in San Mateo CA.
This role will be involved in the complete product lifecycle with focus on customer specific releases of our embedded and data driven software solutions. The position will include being involved in the specification and development of software applications as well as direct integration support including onsite technical support with our customers ‘at key times’ in the development and deployment of the projects. The Software Application Engineer will also be responsible for communicating clearly with customers and also to other members of the development and deployment teams so that all issues are clearly understood and customers’ expectations are managed.
Position includes software development of the core products and services as well as providing direct and indirect customer support of those products.
- As member of the software development group -
- Support of new feature implementations and product releases.
- Manage customer deployment tasks in online project management system.
- Issue/bug resolution and sustaining support of existing releases.
- Generate and validate customer/platform specific SDK’s.
- Assist customers with integration of the SDK’s within their products.
- Participate in dialog with other developers in discussing current and proposed architecture, defects, enhancements and other issues.
- Work with and maintain automated build and test framework.
- Understanding of software development life cycle.
- Maintain and publish detailed build test strategies, test plans, test cases and test reports.
- Work directly with FAE and Product teams to support.
- Demonstrated organizational skills, with ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects in a timely manner in a fast-paced environment.
- Energetic and a natural innovator.
- Solid experience in Android development, preferably in Android platform development (AOSP, Android TV)
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related technical field.
- 3-5 years’ experience development in the following programming languages: C/C++ and Java.
- Experience with the following RF technologies: BLE, RF4CE, ZigBee.
- Experience with the following technologies: Web Services and JNI.
- Experience with Android and Linux platforms.
- Experience troubleshooting networking issues.
- Working knowledge of Agile development methodologies and software development life cycle.
- Solid understanding of software fundamentals.
- Experience with creating and executing software build scripts.
- Fluent in English.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with international colleagues or clients.
- Willingness and ability to travel to customer and UEI sites within the US, EU and Canada.
- Ruby Experience is a plus.
- Wi-Fi experience is a plus.
- HTML 5 experience is a plus.
- iOS and Windows 8/10 experience is a plus.
- Experience with automated test frameworks, and technical documentation is a plus
- Experience and knowledge with embedded devices; TV, STB, Game platforms is a plus
- Willingness to travel to Hong Kong, Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, and other countries is a plus.
Nice to have
- Development experience in C# and Objective C.
- 3-5 years’ experience developing software for consumer products and embedded environments.
UEI will offer a labour contract with excellent salary & secondary benefits.